Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review of No Compromise - The Story of Keith Green


I finished the book No Compromise: The Story of Keith Green last night. The book was written in 1987, only six years after his death by his wife Melody Green. Apparently, an updated version is now available. I guess I'll order it and read that too.

Although it is so very sad that he died along with two of his children, I did enjoy the book very much. It took me into the world of the late 1970s Jesus Freaks. It's hard to believe that Keith Green lived to be only 28 years old. He did a huge amount in the seven years that he was a believer!

On July 4, 1978, I visited Keith Green's commune with my cousin Loren. After the visit, I decided I couldn't live there. I wasn't ready to give up everything for communal living. I always wondered what my life would have been like if I had made a different decision.

After reading Melody's book, I doubt very much if I could have handled being there, but I did live in a similar place: The Atherton House. (We didn't have anyone like Keith Green running our house...)

Regarding the story:

What's left in my mind is the way Melody moved forward. She lost her husband and two of her children (who were cute little tots) in a flash. She had to move forward in her life and did. She really believed God took her family away and that Keith's time on earth and the time he served God with her was for a reason.

Wow....

No comments:

Post a Comment