Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Girl Meets God


Girl Meets God is a book I read in early 2003. It's the story of Laura Winner. She came from a reform Jewish background. Since the Orthodox don't consider someone Jewish unless the person's mother is Jewish, she went through an Orthodox conversion. She'd been brought up Jewish and wanted to completely accepted as a Jew.

After her conversion, she still didn't feel completely accepted in the Orthodox Jewish world. She was treated as if she wasn't "as good."

Later, she turned to Christianity.

Her book was really a "fun read" I recall.

When I read the book, I really felt I got to know the author. I wanted to sit down and talk to her about her life, experiences, thoughts, and feelings for hours.

Her spiritual journey is probably similar to the journey many Jews take. Some of us go on a journey that seems to never quite end. Winner's "journey" has not ended. She has continued to seek God by bringing Jewish rituals into her Christian way of life and beliefs.

Like Laura Winner, something is going on with me. I want to be close to God. I want to know Him, but I want to do so as a Jew -- not an Orthodox Jew (although I admire the Orthodox very much and want to learn from them), but as Jo Ann the Jew that believes in God with all of her heart, soul, and mind. If that means believing that Jesus is the Messiah, I'm okay with that, but I don't want to stop being Jewish either.

The only way I can figure out how to do that is to blog about my thoughts and talk about some of my thoughts with those who are close to me that understand my spiritual journey.

One more thought for today: I am not totally convinced about the "one way thing." Jesus may we "a way," but when I see the ways so many people I know (Jews and Gentiles) seek God, it is hard for me to truly believe that God is not there for everyone who seeks Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment