Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Saturday, September 10, 2011

I've Been "Upgrading God" All This Time!

I'm in the midst of reading a book called The God Upgrade by Rabbi Jamie S. Korngold (a.k.a. The Adventure Rabbi).

I'm about a third of the way through the book, but I decided to take a sneak peek at the end.

There, I found that the book's appendix is a list of recommendations. The list is called "36 and Small Ways to Make Judaism Meaningful and Relevant In Your Life."

As I looked at that list, I realized I've been doing what Rabbi Korngold suggests for years!

Here's some of her suggestions and how I've already applied them:

1) Shul shop.

Rabbi Korngold says that a town or city may have several types of Jewish religious services such as Conservative, Reform, Orthodox, and Ultra-Orthodox. She suggests learning about Judaism by going to different synagogues.

I have certainly done that! I've participated in Chabad events for years. I actually really like and appreciate Chabad. When Dan and I first came to Colorado Springs, I was a bit scared of Chabad, but now, I think that fear was so silly and came from preconceived ideas about that group that came from people I knew in JFJ.

I also feel comfortable at both of the temples in Colorado Springs and also was a part of Rocky Mountain Havurah and have continued going to Rosh Hashanah in the mountains for years.

2) Meet with a rabbi.

I've done that too! When the ex-jfj cause fell apart, I called Rabbi Anat Moskowitz at Temple Shalom and asked for help. I was a mess. I also called Jews for Judaism and asked for help and guidance. Rabbi Aaron Parry was so helpful at the time. Both of the rabbis encouraged me to seek G-d as a Jew and I did just that.

Although my daughter, Rebekah, met with Rabbi Don Levi during her Bat Mitzvah prep time, I felt like I had a special opportunity then. It was great to ask Rabbi Levi questions on a regular basis and so frequently during that time. I will always cherish that memory and time.

3) Take a class or study with a Jewish teacher.

Shortly after meeting with both Rabbi Moskowitz and Rabbi Parry, I started studying with Partners In Torah. I've now studied with my study partner, Dena Leff, for 8 1/2 years! I learned how to read Hebrew, I learned about the Jewish holidays, I've discussed Jewish life and children with Dena, my son was able to celebrate a Bar Mitzvah with Partners In Torah, I've studied from The Little Midrash Says, I've read quite a bit of the Torah with Dena, and I keep learning with her.

4) Create a meaningful Sabbath for yourself.

For years, I've tried to make Shabbat meaningful for my family. We've had Shabbat dinners, we've made Challah, we've lit candles, and we've attended synagogue.

5) Purchase Jewish items.

Wow, I've done that! We own Shabbat candles and several menorahs. Rebekah just was given a beautiful Kiddish cup on her Bat Mitzvah day from Temple Beit Torah. Rebekah has also a beautiful tallit and clip. We own yarmulkes. We made honey dishes with Chabad last Rosh Hashanah and also shofars. My dad was given a Yahrtzeit candle when my mom died to light on the anniversary of her death.

6) Use a Jewish calendar in addition to a regular calendar.

I've done that too! We've had one in our kitchen every year. It really helps us remember Jewish holidays.

7) Plan ahead for Jewish holidays.

Again, I'm "on it." I pay attention to the Jewish calendar and if all possible, I make sure my family has the time off to celebrate the holiday. For example, we make sure we get to Rosh Hashanah in the mountains every year. We make sure we celebrate together as a family on Passover. I make sure we do something on Yom Kippur too (usually a Break Fast, but something). We try to light candles on all the nights of Chanukah. We go to Purim and Chanukah parties whenever possible. We love listening to stories about Jewish holidays and watching videos about Jewish holidays.

8) Learn to say the Motzi before you eat.

Yes, again, my kids and I and Dan have that one "down." They love Challah and love saying the Motzi before eating it!

9) Bake traditional Jewish dishes.

For quite awhile, Annabelle and I were making homemade Challah every week. We've become lazy lately, but can still bake Challah if we want. Annabelle made some pretty good matzah last Passover.

10) Read books and autobiographies about Jewish people.

I read all the time, so this one is easy. I love reading about Jewish history and about the Jewish people. If someone suggests a good book, I order it from Amazon or find it in the library.

11) When traveling, visit and attend services at Jewish synagogues.

On our recent vacation, I insisted we attend services on Friday night. Doing that was a highlight of our trip in my opinion since we got to go to services at the Long Beach Jewish Community Center. My family has had such a connection with that place since my grandmother went through those doors so many times . Also, my great-uncle, Irving, was one of the founders of that temple and the JCC. The rabbi that did my mom's funeral service, Rabbi Steven Moskowitz, is Temple Israel's rabbi. Our family's connection with Jewish community was strengthened by those visits to that temple.

The children all attended Ramah Outdoor Adventure this past summer. They like celebrating Shabbat at home and when we travel since the camp experience gave them a connection to Jews all over the world.

12) Light candles on Friday evening.

Whenever we have a Shabbat dinner at home, we light Shabbat candles. Whenever the women at Temple Shalom light the candles together, I feel a strong sense of belonging and of community. The idea that Jewish women all of the world are lighting candles for Shabbat all in one evening is mind boggling!

13) Host a Passover seder.

I make sure my family celebrates Passover. We either have a seder in our home or we get very involved in making sure we celebrate Passover with our closest friends. In 2011, for the first time, our family also took part in a community seder.

14) Seek out Jewish stories, books, and films.

I've been doing that for years! I love to read Jewish stories and books. Films about Jewish life and people are watched in my home all the time. The kids complain since I play Jewish music in the car almost every day! My favorite Jewish composers and songwriters are Debbie Friedman and Abie Rotenberg.

15) Make New Years Resolutions on Rosh Hashanah.

Every year, one of my favorite parts of Rosh Hashanah is when we go to the park for the Tashlich service. There, we throw bread in the water and tell G-d we are sorry for doing this and that. I always spend some private time with God on that day and tell God about how I will try to change in the coming year.

16) Hang Jewish art in your home.

Well, the kids' artwork is all over the house and lots of it has a Jewish theme!

Also, one of my favorite pieces of Jewish art that is in our home is a poster that Dan brought back from Israel called The Sea of Halacha which tells the story of the Jewish oral law. When Dan got hurt in 2005, the rabbi from Chabad saw the poster and was so impressed with it!



17) Display Judaica, like a menorah, dreidel, or shofar around your house.

No problem there. We own tons of menorahs and dreidels. We now own a shofar thanks to Chabad!

18) Hang a mezuzah on your doorway.

When Dan was near death, I called Chabad. They came to our home and I purchased a mezuzah from them that has been posted on the front doorpost of our house since September of 2005. It's not just there for decoration. I was told at the time that a mezzuzah stopped illness and death and I was willing to do anything to keep Dan alive so he could be there for my children.

19) Buy Jewish gifts for Jewish friends.

I do that once in awhile too! Around Purim of this year, on Lynn Wein McCoy's birthday, I bought her my favorite Jewish drama CD, The Purim Story.

20) Make matzah balls.

I have made some pretty good matzah ball soup in my 32 years of marriage! I've also have tried to make latkes. One year, I thought they came out pretty good. Dan makes great Hamantaschen.

21) Figure out who makes Challah in your town and which is the best.

I used to stop at a bakery every Friday to buy Challah. When that place went out of business, I ordered Challah from someone in Colorado Springs who had a Challah baking service. I've ordered Challah from Chabad too. I have found that Albertsons, Panera Bread, and Whole Foods Market sells it. Once in awhile, I make my own.

----------------------------
To sum things up: .... I've been "upgrading God" in my own way for years and I didn't need a book to tell me how to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment