Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Very Unusual Conversation Took Place At Chabad!


My daughters and I had a wonderful time at the Chabad Women's Circle on Wednesday night 9-21-2011 and we learned a lot about Rosh Hashanah.

One conversation that got started (as we talked about if Jews made New Year's Resolutions) took an interesting twist when an off-topic discussion began on who Jesus was and if he was really a rabbi since he never married.

I think that discussion may have made that Chabad experience quite unusual!

Note:

For those who read this blog and don't know what Chabad is:

Chabad is an ultra-orthodox Hasidic Jewish organization. There are Chabad centers all over the world. The organization's main mission is to provide outreach and educational activities for Jewish people. Talking about Jesus is NOT one of the things Chabad does!
On a personal note:

I was very nervous when my family first began attending Chabad events starting about 10 years ago, but as time has passed, I've grown to like Chabad.

What helped me understand Chabad more was a book called The Rebbe's Army: Inside the World of Chabad-Lubavitch. After reading the book, which was written by a secular Jew, I understood what Chabad was about. I realized the organization was not about turning me or my loved ones into Orthodox or Chasidic Jews, but about teaching Jews about being Jewish and letting them take whatever they want from what they enthusiastically pass on!

No comments:

Post a Comment