Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I'm only for myself, what am I?"


This is one of my favorite Debbie Friedman songs!

Im Ein Ani Li - Song and Lyrics by Debbie Friedman based on Pirkei Avot 1:14



Im ein a-ni li mi li?
If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
Uch-she-a-ni l’atz-mi mah a-ni?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
V’im lo ach-shav ei-ma-tai?
And (if not now), when?


Hillel was a Rabbi and he taught us what to do.
The first part of his lesson said you must be true to you.
You have to love yourself if you expect that others should.
Having self-respect is something special, something good.



Myself is very special, it’s the place I have to start.
But Hillel said we must make room for others in our heart.
Yes, love yourself but care and share – don’t lock the others out.
Caring for yourself and others is what life is all about.



Life is short, the time flies by and just before you know.
Today becomes last week and then a long, long time ago.
Hillel said do what you must – act now, today, don’t wait.
Decide what is important – do it now, it’s not too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment