Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I Think I Want to Go Back to Egypt

I am in the midst of reading the story of Keith Green. There's a song he wrote called "So You Want to Go Back to Egypt." As I read the lyrics last night, I realized that I seem to be in "that place."

(I think I may be what I recall Jews for Jesus called a "high maintenance contact.")



So You Want to Go Back to Egypt

So you want to go back to Egypt
Where it is warm & secure
Are sorry you bought the one way ticket
When you thought you were sure
You wanted to live in the land of promise
But now it is getting so hard
Are you sorry you are out here in the desert
Instead of your own back yard

Eating leaks & onions by the Nile
Ooh what breath for dining out in style
Ooh, my life is on the skids
Building the pyramids

Well there isn´thing do but travel
And we sure travel a lot
'Cause it is hard to keep your feet from moving
When the sand gets so hot
And in the morning it is manna hotcakes
We snack on manna all day
And we sure had a winner last night for dinner
Flaming manna souffle

Well we once complained for smth new to munch
The ground opened up & had some of us for lunch
Ooh, such fire & smoke
Can´t God even take a joke? Huh? NO!

So you want to to back to Egypt
Where your friends wait for you
You can throw a big party & tell the whole gang
Of what they said was all true
And this Moses acts like a big shot
Who does he think he is?
Well it is true that God works lots of miracles
But Moses thinks they are all his

Oh we are having so much trouble even now
Why´d he get so mad about that c-c-c-cow (that golded calf)
Moses seems rather idle
He just sits aound, he just sits around & writes the Bible!

Oh, Moses, put down your pen!
What? Oh no, manna again?

Oh, manna waffles....
Manna burgers
Manna bagels
Fillet of manna
Manna patty
BaManna bread!

1 comment:

  1. Hi JoANN,
    Egypt sounds "comfortable" perhaps? :) At least for the short term is is.
    Going back to Egypt to me I think of going back to slavery. I think that going toward your Messiah is the key. Not toward Christianity. Whether other people think it is dumb (which they will--even family), or whether other people speak "Christianese" or whatever. Jesus said that HIS yoke is easy and his burden is light. One day at a time, my friend, step by step and Messiah will hold your hand...so will I. Love, Marion

    ReplyDelete