Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Monday, August 22, 2011

Shabbat In Long Beach 8-19-2011


Last Friday night, Shabbat, my family went to services at Temple Israel in Long Beach. The services were held at the Long Beach Jewish Community Center.

My Great Uncle Irving was one of the Jewish Community Center's founders. He also was once of the founders of Temple Israel. My dad went to that temple and taught religious school there. My parents were married by Temple Israel's rabbi. My mother's funeral was conducted by Rabbi Moskowitz from Temple Israel. My Grandma Fannie went in and out of the doors of the Jewish Community Center many, many times. My niece, Cory, spend the summer in one of the Jewish Community Center's programs for teens and will probably work there for pay next summer.

Wow...the connection I felt at that Temple Israel service last Shabbat was incredible. Truly the words of G-d asking Jews to pass His words on to your children and your grandchildren hit home for me.

As I looked around the congregation, I felt an incredible connection not only to G-d, but to Jews everywhere. I knew I belonged there and so did my family. It's so wonderful, after so many years, to see my family worshiping G-d together! How cool is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment