Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Live by the words you'll find inside this scroll...the words inside my soul


"The Place Where I Belong" is about the life of a Torah that was made in about 1842. I've put a video of that song at the bottom of this post.

In this week's parsha, I learned the following about the Torah:

“You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor shall you subtract from it, to observe the commandments of Ha-shem your G-d, that I command you.” (Deuteronomy 4:2)

The very idea that the words in the Torah have been passed from one generation to the next is amazing! Also, the idea that it has not been changed is also mind boggling!

This week's parsha also talks about how God wants us to pass his commandments to our children. That's what amazes me. The idea that the 10 Commandments and what is inside a Torah has been passed from one generation to the next and keeps being passed from generation to generation is utterly amazing!

(I believe and hope that my three children's time at Jewish camp this past summer and the summer before may have done just that....that is something from the Torah has been passed from my generation to theirs. The Torah passing ceremony at Rebekah's Bat Mitzvah illustrated that. Wow!)

I love the end of the song. The last line is: "Live by the words you'll find inside this scroll...live by the words you'll find inside my soul..."





No comments:

Post a Comment