Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Review of "Heaven is for Real A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back "


I read the book Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back yesterday.

It was an easy read. I read the entire book in one day. I actually read the book last night. I couldn't sleep. I decided I might as well find out more about the little boy's experience since I couldn't sleep.

If what the little boy did experience is true, Heaven sounds like a very nice place.

The thing is, he was only three years old (almost four) when he "died for 3 minutes" and went to Heaven. The things he remembers aren't things three year olds remember.

I admit I liked the part when the kid says he got to see the sister his mom miscarried since I had a miscarriage. I remember my dad saying that that baby wasn't really a baby or person yet, but for me, that baby certainly was a baby. Dan and I mourned for that child. The idea that child would be in Heaven for me to meet sounds quite cool!

The kid also saw the devil, but didn't want to talk about it. He did want to talk about God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

The little boy also met his father's grandfather who died in the 1970s. When the father showed him a photo of the man at age 61, the little boy didn't recognize the photo, but he did recognize a photo of the grandfather when he was 29. Thus, this means, that no one in Heaven is old. They all look like their young selves!

The little boy said he only had little wings in Heaven, but his great-grandfather had big ones. He also said that Jesus had red "markers" on his hands. He said Jesus moved up and down, while everyone else flew around. There was a gold sort of crown on his head and he sat to the right hand of God's throne.

He said he talked to God about his father being a pastor and how happy God was about it. He also talked about how much God loves the people he created.

The little boy also described an out of the body experience where he saw his parents praying for him during his surgery.

I found myself liking the little boy, Colton. I liked the narrator and author of the book, Todd Burpo. I could tell that they were just a nice family that enjoyed life in a small town in the Midwest.

Of course, I think about my husband, Dan's, accident. Dan told me that he did have an out of the body experience too. Dan says he saw a door with a gold light behind it. He did not go through the door since something or someone said "it was not his time yet."

I am glad I read this book. It's got me thinking about lots of things. It's hard to put in writing what I'm thinking. If what is described is true, "having Jesus" is essential in order to get into Heaven. I am not sure I "have Jesus" since I still believe that there are many ways to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment