Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Narrowing Down What I Believe or Might Believe

I was laying in bed this morning thinking about what I believe (or might believe). I have to put some thoughts down in writing since I've just been so confused lately.

Here's my list:

1) I do believe in God with my whole heart and mind.

I love these words:

"And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."

2) I do believe what is described in the Torah did really happen.

I can't explain why, but I do.

3) I do believe that Jesus did live on this earth and the things described about his time on earth in the New Testament probably did happen.

The stories were recorded for a reason.

4) I do believe (almost I think) that Jesus did die and perhaps did appear on the earth again because God can make anything happen.

Now comes the hard part:

5) I still think that there is more than one way to God. Jesus may be a way, and even though the New Testament says believing that Jesus died for me and others is the only way, I just don't believe that is true.

Comment:

Why, if I don't believe Jesus is the only way, did I tell Lynn Wein McCoy I was ready to pray with her last February? Why did I feel something change in me after praying with Lynn? Why did I tell a few select friends about the change in me?

I just don't know the answers to those questions.

I told Lynn that I no longer thought the story of Jesus dying on the cross was a fairy tale. I wanted to have God in my life. At the time, I needed God so much. Jesus seemed like a way for me at the time.

Right now, I seem to be happier with being Jo Ann who seeks God as a Jew. I love so many things about Judaism and want to pass that way of seeking God to my children. I've been doing that for years.

Like I said, I love these words:

"And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."

Deuteronomy 6:4-9
Hebrew MIDI
Sh'ma Yis'ra'eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.
Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.
In an undertone:
Hebrew
Barukh sheim k'vod malkhuto l'olam va'ed.
Blessed be the Name of His glorious kingdom for ever and ever.
Hebrew
V'ahav'ta eit Adonai Elohekha b'khol l'vav'kha uv'khol naf'sh'kha uv'khol m'odekha.
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Hebrew
V'hayu had'varim ha'eileh asher anokhi m'tzav'kha hayom al l'vavekha.
And these words that I command you today shall be in your heart.
Hebrew
V'shinan'tam l'vanekha v'dibar'ta bam
And you shall teach them diligently to your children, and you shall speak of them
Hebrew
b'shiv't'kha b'veitekha uv'lekh't'kha vaderekh uv'shakh'b'kha uv'kumekha
when you sit at home, and when you walk along the way, and when you lie down and when you rise up.
Hebrew
Uk'shar'tam l'ot al yadekha v'hayu l'totafot bein einekha.
And you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be for frontlets between your eyes.
Hebrew
Ukh'tav'tam al m'zuzot beitekha uvish'arekha.
And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment