Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Sunday, July 17, 2011

John: Chapter 1: 1--5 - My thoughts

Lynn Wein McCoy gave me an assignment. She suggested I read John Chapter 1 and write down thoughts on it. I can't remember specifically what she asked me to write about, but I will write something down...

1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Now, reading that isolated make no sense What in the world was the Word? I've been told the Word was and is Jesus, but why doesn't it say so in black and white in this verse?

2) He was with God in the beginning.

Now I know He was with God. That's what this verse says, but is the writer just saying this? It is confusing...where does this conclusion come from? Bible commentaries? From the writer?

3) Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Okay, now God made all things. I believe that.

4) In him was life, and that life was the light of men.

I believe that God is the creator of life, yes. I also believe that God does bring a certain light to life and this world.

5) The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

I was thinking about this today. Good always shines over evil. Light shining in darkness I do understand.

Things seem dark to me right now (and I've lost whatever hope I had). I can't seem to understand why, but for awhile, I "saw the light." The bit of light I saw doesn't seem real now.

No comments:

Post a Comment