Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Cheerful Thoughts From JO ANN - April 1, 2020



I want to apologize to my Facebook friends.  On March 16, 2020 some of my interactions on Facebook upset me, so I made a decision to not look at Facebook for two months.  It was just too much for me to read about so many uncertain things and I knew for my own mental well-being, I had to step back.

Now that it is April, I realize that I miss many of my friends (the ones I only know on social media and the friends that I interacted with face to face).   My commitment to share happiness and joy with everyone I meet can't happen if I don't interact on social media or reach out.

So...I am writing a blog post for now that I will post on Facebook and also share with my friends that don't use social media so that I can share what is happening in my life and my family's life.  Hopefully I can bring joy into your life.

This way, I don't have to get sucked into Facebook at this time, but can at least give my friends some reasons to smile during this difficult and uncertain time.

I miss traveling, but my family is social distancing at the Schneider family's vacation home in the Colorado mountains which has been nice.  My husband Dan commutes into Colorado Springs every day to do his job at the Veterans Affairs office, but the rest of us pretty much stay put.

We are enjoying being in the mountains quite a bit.  Every day, after I get dressed and eat something, I get out on a scooter or a bike and go out for miles enjoying God's creation.  There is so much beauty here that I never stop enjoying it.



I think about what it must be like to be in the city right now.  I know the places I like to go to in California are not open like the beach bike path or trails, so I am very grateful that my family is isolating in a place where we can go outside every day and see the sky and trees and clouds.

Turkeys In Our Neighborhood!
Deer In Our Neighborhood!


More neighbors that never are out, seem to have appeared.  We keep our distance and wave, but I can tell that the people that live near us are also thankful that there is so much outdoor space here to enjoy.

My dog is having a blast running along side of me as I bike or scooter by the way!



We did have a good snow a couple weeks ago, so we got some great cross country skiing in too right in the neighborhood.



Meals together have been fun, but to make it easier on everyone, sometimes each person in my family just goes to the fridge or cupboard and fixes his or her own food.

My dad celebrated his 91st birthday on March 24, 2020.  He is in good health.  He has enjoyed having us around all the time and watches Turner Classic Movies daily!  As I look at some of the movies he watches, I wish sometimes we could all sing and dance along with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire.




My family is affiliated with four different Jewish communities: Temple Israel in Long Beach, Temple Shalom and Temple Beit Torah in Colorado Springs, and the Wood River Jewish Community in Idaho, so there have been times we've been able to tune into learning opportunities via Zoom or YouTube or via live stream, so we have been connected a bit to the Jewish community.  Nothing replaces in person interactions, but these forms of electronic communication have been nice to have.  My study partner from Partners In Torah calls me weekly and I have to remember to contact my study partner from Torah Mates, but we will talk soon I know.

I believe in God very much, but, at this time, I can't understand why God would allow so many people to be sick or to cause our world to be in such an uncertain state.  Never in my life has there been such a time.  I don't get it.  I play the Jewish healing prayer, Misheberach by Debbie Friedman, on the piano every day and think of those who are sick as I play it.

Although I am not interacting all the time on social media, I have talked to some of my friends via text and calls and email.  We also have a Portal which has made it possible to make very fun video calls and to listen to music.

So...if you need something...don't hesitate to reach out to me via the private message feature on Facebook, or text, email, or call me.  I would be glad to hear from you and have time to give you quality time or attention.

Sending virtual hugs and smiles to all!

JO ANN Schneider Farris
April 1, 2020



------

Added note:  My daughter Annabelle is not with us in the mountains, but at our house in Colorado Springs.  She safely left New York City Saturday evening, March 14, 2020, rented a car, and drove to Colorado.



No comments:

Post a Comment