Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Memorial for a Lady I Met at Temple Israel, Pat Glow

Just a little over a year ago, I met an 85 year old woman at Temple Israel in Long Beach named Pat Glow. I learned early that she was a convert to Judaism who grew up near Los Angeles's very Jewish Fairfax District. Her ex-husband, Mervin Norman Glow, was Jewish.   She lived in the Long Beach area since the 1950s!

She mentioned at Temple Israel's Tanach study that what she liked about Judaism is that "you don't have to believe anything..."   Her statement really affected me...

Pat was friendly and open and and I just enjoyed her. I found out she remembered my Grandma Fannie Schneider when Pat worked with the elderly at the Long Beach Jewish Community Center in the 1970s and 1980s!

Anyway, I was shocked to hear that Pat died just a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I watched her memorial service online and it brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful woman and what a wonderful and full life Pat Glow had!

Pat Glow with Her Daughter Kathy - June, 2015



 

No comments:

Post a Comment