Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Friday, January 1, 2016

My Review of the PBS Series Call the Midwife - I Love It!


Last week I finished watching the last episode of the 4th season of the PBS series Call the Midwife. In my opinion it is the best PBS series I've ever watched, and I was sad that there were no more episodes to watch, but I've heard a holiday 2015 special aired during the 2015 holiday season and I do look forward to seeing it so much.

One of the reasons I like the Call the Midwife series is that unlike some of the PBS shows, there is no "soap opera" feeling to Call the Midwife.  The story is based on the real life experiences of Jenny Worth, who was a nurse in the late 1950s in the impovershed East End of London.

The stories told in the series are almost all true stories, not fiction.  Issues of the 1950s and 1960s are shown.  In addition, the state and practices of the medical professional at the time are shown in detail.

The nurses and the nuns who are nurses wear uniforms and are treated with so much respect.  As they ride their bicycles through London's East End, it seems as if the city's people move out of their way.  They leave their bicycles unlocked and their bikes are never stolen.

All the nurses and nuns live at Nonnatus House which is owned by the church.  There is such a sense of peace at that house and when the house's residents sit down to eat together, they truly are a family, not just co-workers sharing a residence.

As I watched each episode, I noticed how very hard all the nurses worked, but noticed especially that the hard work caused the young nurses to have a special connection or link with one another.  That connection reminded me of how hard I worked when I was a new ice skating teacher at Ice Capades Chalets.    I was on my feet all day, in my coach's uniform, touching lives.  Of course I didn't do the incredible work the nurses in Call The Midwife did, but Jenny Worth's memoirs reminded me that I too, have my own memories of being young and working hard and making a difference in the lives I touched through my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment