Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book Review: A GPS For Grief And Healing by Rabbi Mel Glazer



I am a member of Temple Shalom in Colorado Springs and Rabbi Mel Glazer is my rabbi.   Everyone at Temple Shalom knows Rabbi Glazer makes people smile and laugh.  Most of us also know he also is an expert on how to deal with grief.  In fact, he calls himself "The Grief Guy."

I didn't know that Rabbi Glazer was an expert on counseling people on grief when I called him two years ago when our family's little Pomeranian dog, Porcher, died suddenly and unexpectedly.  I just called the rabbi and asked if there was a Jewish funeral ceremony for dogs since our entire family was in shock and we wanted to do something special to remember the dog that had been part of our family since my children were babies.  Rabbi Glazer gave me some great suggestions on how to give our beloved dog Porcher a Jewish funeral.  At his suggestion, we recited the Shema together as a family and then we each said something out loud to Porcher as we said our good-byes and then buried our dog in our backyard.  The hurt didn't go away, but saying our good-byes together was a good thing.

Then, when an entire family from the Temple Shalom's preschool died in tragic accident, the Shabbat service that followed dealt with the grief that many people in the congregation were dealing with.  The rabbi gave each of us present a chance to also remember our loved ones.  I will never forget that night.

A GPS For Grief And Healing is an easy read (I read the entire book in one day) and is available for immediate reading as a Kindle book and is also available in paperback.  The book is so easy to read in fact, that it seems like Rabbi Glazer is talking directly to you in an easy to understand and gentle tone.  You want to hear all of his stories, and you want to understand all of his suggestions.  You may cry as you read the book, and you may not be able to put the book down.   You may want to read every single paragraph over and over again.  Also, although the author is a Jewish rabbi, people of all faiths will find Rabbi Glazer's advice helpful.

As you read this book, you will remember those you have lost and you will shed some tears.  You will understand all the emotions you've been through and you will find yourself letting go of some of the emotions you've bottled up and you may find yourself moving forward.

As 2014 begins, I have realized that there are many people in my life that I have said good-bye to.  Some have died, but others have left my life or are no longer a part of my daily or weekly routine, some have moved away, and others have decided to end whatever relationship we once had. A GPS For Grief And Healing by Rabbi Mel Glazer is the "medicine" I might need to move forward as I deal with each individual loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment