Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Thoughts About Jhan Moskowitz's Sudden and Tragic Death

I've known Jhan Moskowitz most of my adult life. He died on Wednesday, September 5, 2012.

He was in a terrible and tragic accident in New York City on Tuesday, September 4. I heard that he fell off a subway platform on his way to work and hit his head. His head injuries were so great (there was no brain activity) that his family chose to pull him off of life support.

I've had really no interaction with him for about twenty years.

I remember chasing him through the subways of NYC the first day of JFJ Campaign 1988. It was a training exercise to get us warmed up to New York City. I'll never forget how we were instructed not to lose him and he kept yelling, "30 feet!" We were told we had to stay 30 feet away from him, and not lose him. Eventually, he escaped us all by flying away on a helicopter!

The idea that he died in the NYC subways where he felt so much at home. seems so, so sad.

I have been reading the thoughts of other people who knew Jhan. I realized I actually don't have any memories of him that are all that personal, but in my mind, he was always there and part of a big "family" (religious group) that once was my family.

The thing is, I realized long ago that I can't ever again be part of that "family," so in a way, I'm mourning Jhan's death in my own way and it's lonely doing it that way...

Even if I was able to get to the memorial service in New York City, I know I would feel very out of place.

I am thinking of his family at this time. I had more interaction with his wife, Melissa, than with Jhan. Even my interaction with Melissa was limited.

I do know that Jhan was always very nice and even though he was not all that close to me, I am very, very sad he is gone.

I've been told that heaven has welcomed Jhan and he is being rewarded right now for his efforts on earth. I wish so much that I could really believe and know that is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment