Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Figured Out Who I Am - I'm a "Spiritual Jew"

I have been trying to figure out exactly who I am spiritually.  I have such a hunger for G-d, but yet, I know, deep down, I can not be and never will be an observant Jew.  Maybe if I had been born into that way of life, I would have flourished there, but the fact is, I grew up in a secular Jewish environment, and I have lived most of my life as a secular Jew.

However....from the time I was a little girl, I've had a hunger for G-d.  I love seeking G-d and learning all I can about God and about Judaism.  I love reading the Torah and the Midrash.  I love the stories about Moses, Joseph, and the patriarchs.  Seeking God from a Jewish perspective has been what I've been doing for years and years.

I know that I don't want to take part in that "other religion," but yet, I admire those who choose to follow G-d in that way; it works for "them."  Although I have memories from "that world" and once was part of that world, I know I don't belong "there."  It's just not for me.  In fact, there's only a few people in that world that I feel comfortable staying connected to.   

So who am I?  What have I been seeking?  What is my search for God really about?  What do I believe?

Today, I heard the term  "Spiritual Jew."  That describes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment