Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Dr. Ron Wolfson Got Me to Remember My Wonderful Jewish Grandparents



Fannie and Max Schneider - 1928

Dr. Ron Wolfson came to Temple Israel and spoke on Friday evening 10/27, Saturday morning 10/28, and Sunday morning 10/29, 2017.  Each talk he gave was about the books he has written. 

The Sunday morning talk was called "The Best Boy in the United States of America."  It was really fun hearing Dr. Wolfson share the stories he had to tell about his life.

Remembering loved ones keeps them alive and that is a very special part of Jewish tradition.

As he described his grandfather, I remembered my wonderful Grandpa Max.  Dr. Wolfson's grandfather gave his grandchildren huge hugs and kisses and sat in a big chair.

When I was a child, my dad took us to Grandma Fannie and Grandpa Max's house every Sunday.  We'd park whatever car we drove then right in front of the house at 232 Granada in Belmont Shore, Long Beach, California and when the three of us got out of the car, Grandma and Grandpa would greet us on the door step and Grandpa Max would always put his arms around me and squeeze me hard and give me a huge kiss and hug.  Grandma Fannie would kiss me and I'd immediately wipe of the lipstick.
Max and Fannie in the 1960s




Grandpa Max was truly excited to see us and knew somehow that those hugs he gave us every Sunday would stay inside my soul.  Grandpa Max was the kind of grandfather and father that made us all feel safe and while he was alive, my dad seemed to know that everything would always be alright.

Lynnellenn, Billy, and Jo Ann Schneider - 1962 - In Front of Grandpa and Grandma Schneider's House in Belmont Shore - The Street Still Looks the Same!


Like Dr. Wolfson's grandfather, my Grandpa Max sat in a huge chair all day long on the Sundays we visited and we would surround him and just talk.  Grandma Fannie sat at the corner of the couch and knitted.

Grandma Fannie liked to write.  At the end of his talk today, Dr. Wolfson shared a letter written to her sons by his mother that was left for her sons to read after her death.  I cried when I heard him read the letter because I knew my Grandma Fannie would have done the same thing.

I miss them both and wish so much that I could go back to being a little girl in the 1960s and wish my Grandpa Max could hug me and my Grandma Fannie would kiss me.





No comments:

Post a Comment