Join the Jewish Bloggers Webring

Monday, July 25, 2011

The Jesus Movement-Revolution Was All About LOVE


In the late 1970s, I was attracted to LOVE. I was attracted to The Jesus Movement, sometimes called The Jesus Revolution. So was my husband and we met "there."

That was the time when it was "totally cool" to be high on Jesus and to LOVE. I sort of stumbled on Calvary Chapel and I saw hippies loving Jesus. I found I had to be around all that love.

It didn't occur to me that I didn't "know Jesus," but the love that was passed around in those days was catching. I didn't have to pretend to love. Something wonderful came out of me and I do believe that love that came out of me was guided by God.

There's a group on Facebook: Original Jesus Freaks - Were You One of Them?

The main related thing I see in the group's discussion is Calvary Chapel (or churches related to or like Calvary Chapel). Love and peace were so much a part of Calvary Chapels in those days. The same love was at the Atherton House.

I miss that time.

If I could find people that loved like the "Jesus Freaks" loved in those days, I'd go to where those people are. Young people find it easy to gather. In time, it's not easy to find people that just love for the sake of loving. There are two many walls in the way as we grow older.

I'm ending this post with one of favorite songs from that time.

Charity - Music and Lyrics by Kenn Gulliksen
Based on 1 Corinthians 13

Although I speak with tongues
Of men and of angels
And though I prophesy
And understand all

Although I have all faith
So mountains may be removed
And though I feed the poor
And give of my life

Chorus:

If I have not charity
If love does not flow from me
I am nothing
Jesus reduce me to love

Love is patient and kind
Love is not envious
Not proud but gentle and meek
Seeks not its own way
Love sings when Jesus prevails
Believes and endures all things
Love hopes and bears every wrong
And love never fails

Repeat Chorus

One season I was a child
I spoke and I thought as a child
But when I turned to a man
Such ways put aside
Though now we see through a glass
Yet then we shall see face to face
Though now abide faith and hope
The greatest is love

Repeat Chorus


No comments:

Post a Comment